In the exciting world of types of leather, one of the most sublime and versatile treasures we find is split leather. This material, with its distinctive texture and rustic charm, has won the hearts of fashionistas and style aficionados alike. In this article, we will embark on a fascinating journey to explore and better understand the unique qualities of split leather, as well as its valued place in the leather industry.
What is split leather?
Split leather is a type of leather that is characterized by having a soft and velvety surface, similar to suede. This type of leather is obtained from the inner part of the skin of animals, making it a very resistant and durable leather, and it has a soft touch.
Furthermore, split leather is widely used in the manufacture of footwear, bags, jackets and other accessories, as it offers great resistance and durability. However, it also requires special care to maintain its appearance and prevent it from being damaged with use and the passage of time.
How do you get split leather?
Split leather, being a product derived from leather, is obtained by separating the cowhide into two layers: the outer and the inner layers. The outer layer is called nappa and is used to make smooth leather clothing and accessories. The inner layer is called split leather and is specially treated to give it a soft, velvety texture, similar to suede.
The split leather manufacturing process consists of several steps:
- First, the cowhide is divided into two layers using a machine called a splitter.
- Second, the inner layer undergoes a tanning process, which consists of applying chemicals that preserve and harden the leather.
- Third, a dyeing process is performed, which gives the desired color to the leather.
- Fourth, a sanding process is carried out, which eliminates imperfections and marks on the leather, and gives it the velvety appearance characteristic of split leather
- Fifth, a final finish is applied, which can be a waterproofing spray, a varnish or a wax, which protect the split leather from the dirt and wear.
Split leather characteristics
Split leather has a series of characteristics that make it unique. These characteristics are the following:
• Resistance: Split leather is a very resistant and durable leather. It can withstand daily wear and tear without warping or cracking.
• Durability: Split leather is a very durable material. It can last for many years with proper care.
• Soft touch: Split leather has a soft and velvety touch. This makes it very pleasant to the touch.
• Natural Appearance: Split leather has a natural, authentic appearance. This makes it very attractive to many consumers.
How to work with split leather?
Split leather is a highly versatile material thatcan be used to create a variety of styles. It is a good option for those looking for a material that is elegant, durable, and easy to care for.
If you are looking for a material for your next sewing projects, split leather is a great option. It is an easy material to work with, and can be used to create a variety of items.
Here are some tips for working with split leather:
• Use a good quality needle and thread.
• Cut the skin with sharp scissors.
• Use a press to help hold the skin in place.
• Protects the skin from moisture and water.
• Brush the fur regularly to keep it soft and clean.
By following these tips, you can help create suede leather items that are elegant, durable, and easy to care for.
How to preserve split leather?
To keep split leather in good condition, it is important to store it in a cool, dry and ventilated place, avoiding contact with other clothing or materials that can discolor or scratch it. It is also recommended to use a waterproofing spray for leather, which protects split leather from moisture and stains. It must be applied following the manufacturer's instructions and with a prudent distance so as not to saturate the material.
How to clean split leather?
Split leather is very sensitive to dirt, water and stains, so avoid exposing it to these agents. Ideally, clean it regularly with a soft, dry brush to remove dust and lint that may accumulate on the surface. You can also use a special leather eraser, which helps remove the most difficult stains without damaging the material.
If the split leather gets wet, let it dry in the open air, without applying heat or direct sources of light. Once dry, it is you can brush gently to restore its original texture. If the stain is made of grease or oil, you can apply a little talcum powder or cornstarch to the affected area, leave it to act for a few hours and then remove it with a brush.
In short, split leather stands out as an impeccable example of rustic elegance and exceptional durability. Its velvety texture, its resistance and its ability to enriching a variety of products make it a real treasure for leather workers. So, if you're looking for a material that combines rustic charm with sophistication, look no further: split leather is the perfect choice for you.
That is why in Curtidos Menacho we invite you to purchase this fabulous type of leather, ideal for manufacturing either a pair of shoes, a luxury handbag or a sophisticated jacket, because the suede leather will always bring a touch of distinction and class to your products. So don't wait any longer and visit our catalogue of cut leather and choose your best lot to start working on that project you want so much.