Care and maintenance of leather goods
When you buy a leather item, be it a belt, a wallet, a bag or a jacket, you know that you are buying a piece that will accompany you for many years, in a very durable and resistant material, leather also ages extraordinarily, acquiring more and more more character and personality.
Leather goods are an excellent investment, as they are durable, stylish, and comfortable. However, in order for them to retain their beauty and quality for a long time, they need to be properly cared for and maintained. Here we give you some tips so that your leather products always look like new.
And for this to be the case, we must ensure that we take proper care and follow a series of very simple instructions.
Shake and air frequently If it is an item that you do not use daily, it is convenient that you shake the dust from time to time, since it is one of the external agents that can damage the leather, which is a porous material.
Never, never, never wash it in the traditional way, soaking it in water, or in a washing machine, since tanned leather in contact with water is damaged and may lose its finishing properties.
If your piece of leather has a stain, you can clean it with a damp cloth, to which you can add a few drops of soap with a neutral PH.
If any liquid is spilled, you must dry it immediately, since leather is very porous and if that liquid penetrates deeply, it will be very difficult to remove that stain.
The leather is not cleaned with baby wipes, nor with products that contain alkaline substances. Of course never use bleach, ammonia and products that contain aggressive chemicals.
The ideal is to always use specific products for cleaning and care and in particular for more delicate types of leather such as nappa, suede, nubuck... These products can be found in specialized stores.
Store in a cotton dustbag and keep it in a moisture-free area.
Why does leather dry out?
Leather dries out for various reasons: exposure to the sun, heat, humidity, dust, sweat, the use of chemical or inappropriate products, etc. These factors cause leather to lose its natural fat and elasticity, causing it to crack, peel or discolor.
How to prevent leather from drying out?
The best way to prevent leather from drying out is to moisturize it regularly with specific products for this material. Leather hydration consists of applying a substance that nourishes and protects the leather fibers, restoring its original appearance and extending its useful life.
What are the benefits of moisturizing leather? Moisturizing leather has many benefits, among which we can highlight:
- Prevents the appearance of cracks and stains.
- Returns the shine and softness to the leather.
- Improves the flexibility and resistance of leather.
- Prevents leather from fading or wear.
- Preserves the characteristic aroma of leather.
How to hydrate leather correctly?
To properly hydrate leather, follow a few simple steps:
- Clean the leather with a soft cloth moistened with water or with a specific product to remove dust and dirt.
- Dry the leather with another soft cloth or leave it in the open air, avoiding direct sunlight or heat sources.
- Apply a moisturizing leather cream with a soft cloth or sponge, following the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to choose a suitable cream for the type and color of the leather, since some can alter its hue or leave stains. Other natural products such as almond oil, liquid Vaseline or cooking oil can also be used, but care must be taken not to exceed the amount or to do a preliminary test in an inconspicuous area.
- Let the product act on the leather for a few minutes and remove the excess with a soft cloth.
- Repeat this process from time to time, according to the needs of the leather. Ideally, moisturize the leather at least once a month or whenever it feels dry or dull.
As you can see, moisturizing your leather goods is an easy and necessary task to keep them in perfect condition. So you can enjoy your clothes and leather objects for much longer and look like new.
By following these simple tips you can maintain the appearance of your leather goods, prolonging their use and durability.
Since you have all the information on the care and maintenance of leather goods, do not hesitate to visit our extensive catalog of the best leathers and skins from Ubrique.